Card payment authentication
When you start a recurring payment for Spotify your bank might ask you to authenticate the transaction for additional security. This is a standard European regulation for online payments with credit or debit cards issued in the European Economic Area (EEA). The requirement, called Payment Service Directive 2 (PSD2), makes online payments more secure, and protects your payment and account details.
Your bank might ask you to authenticate through two of the following authentication types:
- Something you know (e.g. password, PIN).
- Something you own (e.g. mobile phone, token).
- Something you are (e.g. fingerprint).
We implemented this new regulation to keep your details safe, while also doing our best to give you a smooth payment experience.
If you’re interested, you can read more about the Strong Customer Authentication under PSD2.
If you have trouble verifying the payment:
- Make sure your bank has the right information, and that your personal details are up to date and correct.
- Contact your bank for assistance.
Note: You won’t be charged until your bank has verified your identity.
Was this article helpful?