How can we help you?
Get the full Spotify experience!Upgrade to premium
Have questions, answers, ideas about Spotify? Ask or join our Community!Go to the Community
Check out our Twitter or Facebook help:
Use the app to play music files stored on your device, which we call local files.
Spotify can play any audio files that your device supports.
Note: Files or downloads from illegal sources are not permitted.
- Import your local files with the "Desktop" steps.
- Add the files to a playlist.
- Log in on your mobile or tablet using the same WiFi as your desktop.
- Go to Settings > Local Files and switch on Local audio files.
Note: You need to allow Spotify to find devices in the prompt that shows.
- Download the playlist with your local files.
Local Files sync supports:
- You're logged in to the same account on both your desktop and mobile
- Your devices are discoverable and connected to the same WiFi network
- The Spotify app has access to your local network. Check in your iPhone/iPad settings under Spotify.
- The app is up-to-date on both devices
- Your device is up-to-date
- Tap Home .
- Tap Settings .
- Switch Show local audio files on .
Your stored music is now in Local Files in Your Library .
Make sure the app and your device OS are up-to-date.
- Click in the top-right and select Settings.
- Scroll to Local Files and switch Show Local Files on.
- Switch off any sources you don't want.
- Click ADD A SOURCE to select another folder.
Music from that folder is now in Local Files in Your Library .
When the crossfade setting is enabled, Spotify will crossfade between local files that use the same sample rate and channel count (mono/stereo).
Last updated: 15 November, 2021
Was this article helpful?
Answer: We have an extensive record collection, but if the track you’re after hasn’t found its way on to Spotify yet, don’t worry! You can add any personal music you have with a feature...
Yeah, I've tried to figure it out but I can't seem to find how I have to do it anywhere..
What's the easiest way to be able to play "local files" that reside on my desktop device on my mobile? After bringing them in to the desktop Spotify client as a playlist I'm able to play them there, a...