How can we help you?
Get the full Spotify experience!Upgrade to premium
Have questions, answers, ideas about Spotify? Ask or join our Community!Go to the Community
Check out our Twitter or Facebook help:
Car Thing not working
Here are some solutions to common issues so you can get back to beat.
Note: Don’t try to fix issues while driving.
Turn on your car’s ignition. Some cars only provide power to the 12V power outlets when the ignition is on.
Make sure to plug Car Thing into the 12V or 24V power outlet (also known as the cigarette lighter) in your car - and that the outlet is functioning properly.
Other ports (such as the USB port) don’t provide enough power to the device.
Note: If your car powers your 12V or 24V outlet when the ignition’s off, unplug Car Thing when you turn your car off to avoid draining your car battery.
Car Thing connects to your phone using Bluetooth. Make sure Bluetooth on your phone is turned on, and the Spotify app is open.
For help connecting your phone to your car speakers, check out Spotify in the car.
Car Thing not hearing you?
- Check the microphone is on. Press the Settings button on the top-right of the device and go to Microphone.
- Remove any background noise. If Car Thing is near any open vents, turn them off or move the device to remove wind noise.
- Make sure your phone has a strong internet connection.
- Try rephrasing your request. Remember to start with “Hey Spotify”.
Tip: Car Thing currently only understands English (en-US). If a song you want to play is in a foreign language, try saying it with a US accent.
Restarting Car Thing fixes many common issues.
- Click the Settings button on the top-right.
- Find Restart.
- Press the dial to select and confirm.
A factory reset clears all personalized saved data from the device. You’ll need to reconnect it to your phone and reset any presets afterwards.
- Click the Settings button.
- Find Restart in the list.
- Choose Factory Reset and press the dial to select.
Last updated: 20 August, 2021
Was this article helpful?