Someone has gained access to my account
If you think your account has been accessed by an unauthorized party, we recommend you follow this guide immediately.
If your Spotify account has been taken over, you might notice any of the following:
- Your password is no longer working.
- The email address associated with your Spotify account has changed.
- Any personal details on your account page have changed, such as your birthday, or zip/postal code.
- Playlists have disappeared, or been added.
- Subscription changes.
Note: Please be assured, we never display your full payment information.
- Someone else's Facebook profile has been connected to your Spotify account.
- You see the following error message: ‘Spotify has been paused because your account is being used somewhere else’.
What do I do if my account has been hacked?
- First, reset your password.
Use our password reset form.
It’s best to open this link in a new web browser, or in a private/incognito window. Be sure to select a strong password you haven't used before.
When you’ve successfully reset your password, go to your account page and click SIGN OUT EVERYWHERE as an extra security measure.
Note: If your email address has been changed, you’re unable to change your password. If so, please go straight to the second step.
We also strongly suggest you change the password for:
- The email address associated with your Spotify account (e.g. with Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
- Any Facebook profile associated with your Spotify account. You can make sure you're the only one currently logged into your Facebook in your Facebook Settings, under Security and login > Where You’re Logged In.
- Any service where you use the same password as Spotify.
- Then get in touch with us.
Go to our contact form and select Logging in > I can't log in to Spotify > I STILL NEED HELP.
We'll then take all the necessary and precautionary steps to secure your account and return access to you.
Why does this happen?
We can assure you that our platform and user records are totally secure. Account takeovers usually happen because of a breach on another service. If you use the same password for several services, they all have the potential to be compromised if one has a security breach.
How can I prevent my account from getting hacked?
We always apply rigorous security practices to protect your information, but check out how to protect your Spotify account for extra measures you can take.