Ambassador Ads are a great way to monetize your show by spreading the word about Spotify for Podcasters on your podcast.
To become eligible, you’ll need to meet these requirements:
- Have at least 1,000 unique listeners on Spotify in the last 60 days
- Have published at least one episode in the last 60 days
- Be located in the US
Hit Check eligibility criteria under the Host-read Ads section of your Monetize tab to see if you meet the eligibility requirements.
Please note that even if your show satisfies the above requirements, it still may not be eligible for monetization under Ambassador Ads. Spotify ultimately reserves the right to determine whether your show can participate in Ambassador Ads campaigns. We also reserve the right to deactivate Ambassador Ads if you haven’t published a new episode within the past 6 months.
Activating Ambassador Ads
- Once you’re eligible, go to your Monetize page and select Activate Ambassador Ads.
- Set up Spotify Payouts if you haven’t already done so.
Once you’re set up, there’s no further action to be taken. We’ll send you an email once you’ve been paired with a campaign.
Receiving a campaign
Ambassador Ads campaigns run on a monthly basis. We typically check for eligibility on the 22nd of every month and eligible creators typically receive an Ambassador Ad a week before the following month begins.
Here's an example:
- March 22: we check that your podcast's eligible and that you've activated Ambassador Ads
- Before the end of March: we'll send you your campaign for April to give you time to record or upload your ad
- April 1: your April campaign begins
- April 22: we check your podcast's still eligible for May's campaign
- April 30: your April campaign ends
It’s worth noting that you’ll only receive a new campaign each month if you meet the eligibility requirements on the 22nd of the month prior. This means you’ll need to continue to maintain at least 1,000 Spotify listeners in the last 60 days and regularly publish new episodes each month. We check for eligibility on the 22nd of every month.
You’ll need to have set up a payment service provider to be eligible for receiving an Ambassador Ad.
Recording an Ambassador Ad
We’ll provide a script you can read from, plus talking points if you want to get creative and record your ad in a more organic way. You can record your ad within Spotify for Podcasters or upload your own recording from elsewhere.
- Go to your Monetize tab.
- Scroll down to view your Host-read Ads section.
- Select Click/tap to record once you've received your Ambassador Ad.
- Select Start recording or Upload an ad
We’ll show you:
- More details about your Ambassador Ad
- A script for you to follow
- A few helpful recording tips
You can record your ad at any time before or after a campaign has started. Your ad will only play during the month the campaign is running.
If you want to re-record your Ambassador Ad, follow these steps:
- Go to your Monetize tab.
- Scroll down to the Host-read ads.
- Select the 3 dots next to the ad to re-record or upload your audio file.
- Select Start recording or Upload an ad.
If your ad is found to be invalid (e.g. disparaging, fraudulent) your campaign will end and we may revoke the money you’ve made from your Ambassador Ad. We recommend taking your Ambassador Ad seriously to ensure you don’t run into any problems.
Placing ads in your episodes and hearing them
To place ads within your episodes, check out our guide to inserting ad breaks.
Your Ambassador Ad goes live on the first of the calendar month you’ve recorded a campaign for.
Ads may not always play when you or a listener listens to an episode of your podcast.
Reasons your ads might not play include:
- Spotify currently supports ad delivery through its desktop, iOS, and Android apps. If a listener is listening in other places (e.g, web player, smart speakers, car, or TV), ads won’t play.
- Spotify currently supports ad delivery when the listener’s device is connected to the internet. Listeners won’t hear ads on Spotify if they use the app in offline mode or disable the internet connection on their device.
- If your ad break is inserted in the first 10 seconds of an episode, it may not play. We suggest placing an ad break after the first 10 seconds of your episode.
How much money Ambassador Ads earn
The amount of money you can make from Ambassador Ads depends on:
- How many episodes you have
- How often you publish new episodes
- How many listeners you get
- If you’ve reached your monthly limit of Ambassador Ads impressions
Check out our overview of how RPM works and how these numbers can affect your potential revenue.
Was this article helpful?