Find the right music for the moment. Learn how to play and control what's playing with the Now Playing bar.
Pick your device below to find out how.
- Open Spotify on the desktop app or web player.
- Play something! You can find music with Search or Browse and play in one of these ways:
- Hover your cursover over a track and click the Play button on the left.
- Double-click a track name.
- Click an album or playlist cover in Browse.
- Click the green PLAY button below an artist, album, or playlist title. Click again to PAUSE.
- Control the music with the Now Playing bar at the bottom of the app.
Note: If you’re using the free, ad-supported service on mobile, this appears differently. Find out more about Spotify on mobile.
- Open Spotify on your mobile or tablet.
- Play something! You can find music with Search or Browse and play in one of these two ways:
- Tap an artist, album, or playlist, and tap the first song you want to hear.
- Tap an artist, album, or playlist, then tap SHUFFLE PLAY to shuffle the track listing.
- Tap at the bottom of the app to bring up the Now Playing bar. Tap at the top of the app to return
Tip: Don't see this? You may have entetred the Play Queue. Tap in the top-right to return to the cover art view.
- Tap to play / resume.
- Tap to pause.
- Tap to skip.
- Tap to shuffle the order.
- Tap to repeat.
- Tap twice to repeat the track once. Tap again to stop repeating.
- Tap to order your tracks using the Play Queue.
- Tap Devices Available to play to another device.
Note: The Play Queue is currently not available on iPad.
Podcasts and Videos
It’s not just music you can play! Check out podcasts and videos. You can control these with the Now Playing bar too, but you get different options such as speed control and 15 seconds skip forward or rewind.