Uploading video files
Publish your video podcast to Spotify using Spotify for Podcasters.
If you’re hosted with Spotify for Podcasters, check out the steps below to upload your video episodes.
If you host your podcast somewhere else, this article outlines how you can upload your video episodes.
Note: It's against our Terms of Service to upload video that belongs to someone else.
How to upload video files
- Click New Episode.
- Choose a video file to upload. You can browse your device or simply drag a file onto the page to start your upload.
- While your upload continues, add episode details like a title, description, and publish date.
Note: Depending on your file size, it can take some time for your video to upload. You can preview your video once it’s processed.
- On the next screen, you can optionally add interactive elements for your audience on Spotify. We currently offer Q&A and Polls.
- Next, if you’re eligible and signed up for monetization features, you’ll be able to manage your ad breaks and/or set your episode to be subscriber-only.
- Finally, review your video episode. You can publish right away, or schedule it for the future if you choose a time in the future in step 3.
We'll let you know via email when your episode is transcoding, and again once it’s complete.
Your video episode will go live on Spotify either instantly, or at your scheduled publish time. In addition, audio from your video will be available through RSS.
If at any point you want to save your work and return later, just click the X in the top-right corner.
Supported file types and recommendations
We support MOV and MP4 video files.
Spotify for Podcasters doesn’t have a file size limit, but note that larger files will take time to process and can have a higher chance of failing if your internet connection is interrupted.
If you’re encoding your video files, here are our recommendations on both video and audio specifications:
- Your file must contain only one video track and one audio track
- The duration of your file cannot be longer than 12 hours
- H.264 High Profile
- 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio
- Maximum bitrates of 25 Mbps for 1080p source, or 35 Mbps for 4k source
- Use the source’s native frame rate
- Bitrate of 192 Kbps or higher
- Surround/multi-channel audio is not supported
Important info about video episodes
- Video episodes are only available on Spotify. On other platforms, your episode will be audio-only.
- To monetize your video episodes, check out Podcast Subscriptions.
- You can replace your existing audio-only episodes with video episodes. Learn more
Creating a video episode on Riverside.fm
Issues with uploading video
If you're getting an error during the upload process, try checking these troubleshooting steps:
- Make sure you’re using a supported file type.
- Double-check that the video file plays properly on your device.
If you’re still encountering issues, contact us.
Was this article helpful?