How can we help you?
Account & Payment
Internet and data usage
As with many other digital services or apps, Spotify needs a Wifi or mobile data internet connection to operate.
The amount it costs to stream music using mobile data can vary depending on your plan. For more details, contact your mobile service provider.
Reduce mobile data usage
We recommend using WiFi instead of mobile data where possible. If there’s no WiFi available, switch Data Saver on. This reduces the app’s data usage by showing fewer images and reducing audio quality.
To switch Data Saver on:
- Tap Home .
- Tap Settings .
- Switch Data Saver on.
More ways to reduce data usage:
- If you have Premium, download music to listen offline.
Tip: To make sure the app only downloads when connected to WiFi, switch Download using cellular off in the app’s settings (under Music Quality).
- Check your Music Quality. If it’s set to Very high when you’re not connected to WiFi, Spotify may require more data than usual.
- To stop music playing beyond what you’ve selected, make sure Autoplay is switched off in your app’s settings.
- Use WiFi particularly if you’re using the app abroad. Check your mobile data plan to learn about roaming charges.
- Some devices have data saving modes to help reduce overall data usage. For more information, check the support site for your device.
Videos use more data than music due to larger file sizes, but our data usage is comparable to other popular video channels.
Does this include the animations in Now Playing?
The moving visuals you see on some tracks in Now Playing is a feature called Canvas. A unique form of artistic expression on Spotify.
These are short and looping, so use very little data. After they’ve looped once, they don’t need additional data to keep playing. They also don’t run when they’re not on the screen, so you don’t need to worry about your data when the app is minimized.
If you’re still concerned about how much data Canvas uses, you can switch it off:
- Tap Home in the menu at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Settings .
- Switch Canvas (under Playback) off.
Your app uses some of your device’s internet bandwidth to deliver music without interruption from buffering.
Reduce bandwidth usage
Last updated: 17 September, 2019