How can we help you?
Account & Payment
Family Mix is a playlist that combines music you and the other members of your Family plan listen to. It comes preloaded with genres, artists, and songs you’ve all played on your own, and updates the more you play.
Join or leave Family Mix
Your music doesn’t appear in Family Mix until you join. If you leave, your songs are removed.
- Join or leave Family Mix any time at www.spotify.com/account/family.
- Or, in the mobile app tap (Android) / (iPhone), then select Join Family Mix.
Note: To leave Family Mix, repeat these steps and tap Leave Family Mix.
Play Family Mix
There are a few ways to find and play Family Mix:
- Find it in Home under Made For You.
- Search for Family Mix.
- If you have a voice controlled speaker, ask to play Family Mix.
Note: If you’re new to Spotify, Family Mix needs to get to know you first. Expect to see it filled with your favorite songs after around 2 weeks of listening.
Tune the mix
For: Family Mix on mobile
Family Mix is filled with music the whole family can enjoy together. But it can also be tuned to match the taste of particular Family members when you’re not listening together.
To manage whose music taste Family Mix is based on, tap (Android) / (iPhone) in the top-right of your mix, then tap Manage Users.
And you can tune the mix even further to match your mood:
- Tap CHILL for an easy listening and laidback tempo. Tap again to return to the standard mix.
- Tap UPBEAT to increase the tempo of the mix. Tap again to return to the standard mix.
Profile pictures next to each song in the mix show which members of the plan it’s generated from. Only people in your Family plan can see this.
Family Mix relies on frequent updates to stay fresh, so it’s not possible to listen offline. But you can add all songs from your mix to a playlist, then download that playlist:
- Tap (Android) / (iPhone) in the top-right of your mix.
- Tap Add to playlist.
- Tap NEW PLAYLIST and name it, or add songs to an existing playlist.
- Download that playlist.
Note: This setting is only available on mobile devices, but applies across all devices.
To remove explicit songs based on your music taste from Family Mix, tap (Android) / (iPhone) in the top-right of your mix, then Remove your explicit songs. This is reflected on the other member accounts when it next updates for them.
This only removes the explicit songs based on your music taste. To disable all explicit songs, check out explicit content.
Last updated: 21 February, 2021
Was this article helpful?