How can we help you?
Get the full Spotify experience!Upgrade to premium
Have questions, answers, ideas about Spotify? Ask or join our Community!Go to the Community
Check out our Twitter or Facebook help:
Internet and data usage
Spotify needs a WiFi or mobile data connection to work.
It’s best to use WiFi instead of mobile data.
If you don’t have WiFi, the app uses your mobile data.
Reduce data usage
Data Saver reduces the app’s data usage by showing fewer images and reducing audio quality.
Tap Home .
Tap Settings .
Switch Data Saver on.
Tip: Under Data Saver, you can also switch Audio-only podcasts on. This means when you download podcasts it doesn’t download their videos too.
More ways to reduce mobile data usage:
- If you have Premium, download music to listen offline.
Tip: Make sure the app only downloads when connected to WiFi, switch Download using cellular off in the app’s settings (under Music Quality).
- Check your Music Quality. Higher quality music uses more data.
- Switch Autoplay off in your app’s settings. This stops it playing after what you’ve selected.
- Use WiFi when using the app abroad. Check your mobile data plan to learn about roaming charges.
- Your device may have its own data saver. Check the support site for your device.
- Close any other open applications using the internet
- If you have Premium, download music to listen offline
- Use the web player
The app uses some of your device’s internet bandwidth to play music without buffering.
To reduce bandwidth usage:
Last updated: 12 August, 2021
Was this article helpful?