How can we help you?
Account & Payment
Can't play Spotify
If your Spotify isn’t working as expected, or you’re having issues with playback or the app itself, here are some troubleshooting steps to try:
- Restart the Spotify app.
- Log out and back in.
- Check the app is up-to-date.
- Close any other apps you’re not using.
Reinstall the app.
Note: After reinstalling, you'll need to redownload any music you've made available for offline listening.
- Check the app isn’t set to Offline mode.
- If possible, try a different internet connection. If this works, see 'Check the connection' below.
- Try playing on a different device, or with the web player. If this works, your inability to play on the first device could be an issue with the device itself:
- Check the device is supported and up to date.
- Your device should have at least 250MB available memory (you may want to remove any unnecessary files and apps).
- You may need to perform further troubleshooting with the device's manufacturer.
- If you’re listening on desktop, check your firewall isn’t blocking Spotify.
- Check @SpotifyStatus for any ongoing issues.
Tip: We recommend using Spotify with a WiFi connection, on a supported device that has at least 250MB available memory.
If it’s a connection issue, you may see one or more of the following:
- All tracks grayed out.
- Nothing happening when you press play, or try to use any features.
- Error messages saying Spotify is offline or No internet connection detected.
These steps should get you back up and running:
- Turn your WiFi off. Wait 30 seconds, then switch it back on. If that doesn’t work, try restarting your router.
- If you’re using a data connection, check you have enough data allowance (although we recommend using WiFi if possible).
- Make sure Spotify isn’t in offline mode (in the app’s Settings, under Playback).
- Check your firewall (if you use one) has Spotify set as an exception.
- Some shared or public networks (e.g. schools/work/office) restrict access to certain services. You can contact those responsible for managing the network for more information.
- If possible, try it with a different WiFi network. If it works with another connection, we recommend contacting the service provider of the original network for more information.
If the app appears to be playing, but you can’t hear anything:
- Check the correct audio output is selected in your device’s volume settings. You can refer to the manufacturer for help with volume settings.
- Check your audio hardware is working properly. You can test this by playing audio from somewhere other than Spotify.
- For computers, it’s worth checking your soundcard driver software. You can refer to your device’s manufacturer for help with this.
- Check the device you want to listen on isn’t playing to an external device with Spotify Connect, Bluetooth, or any other wireless connection method.
Last updated: 12 June, 2020