Sort and Filter
Sort and filter Spotify to control how the music is listed and played. Pick an option and your device below for more information.
Reorganize how music is listed in the app.
Sort songs in playlists
Tip: This works for Songs in Your Library too.
- Click the column you want to sort by, for example:
- Alphabetically, by TITLE, ARTIST, or ALBUM.
- By most recently added, with .
- By song duration, with .
Note: Adjust the app's screen size to reveal more columns.
- Click the column again to reverse the order, click again to return to the original order.
If you created the playlist, you can also drag and drop songs into your preferred position. Just click and hold a song to move it up or down.
Sort playlists in Your Library
To reorder your list of playlists in the menu on the left, just click and hold a playlist title to move it up or down.
You can also organize your playlists into folders:
- Right-click a playlist in the menu on the left of the desktop app.
- Select Create folder.
- Give it a name and press enter.
- Drag playlists to a folder. You can even create folders within folders.
Sort Albums and Artists in Your Library
Select Albums or Artists in the menu on the left and choose a Sorted by option from the dropdown menu.
On mobile and tablet, you can sort:
- Song listings within playlists:
- Alphabetically by Title, Artist, or Album.
- Or by Recently added.
Playlists, Artists, and Albums in Your Library:
- Alphabetically by Name, Title, or Artist.
- Recently played.
- Recently added.
Note: Sort options may vary depending on the list you’re sorting.
- Go to the list you’d like to sort.
(On iOS) Pull down and release to display Sort at the top-right corner. Tap it.
(On Android) Tap , and select Sort playlist.
- Tap your preferred option.
- Repeat these steps to reverse the order, or pick another sort option.
Choose to show only specific content within track lists.
With Filter on the desktop app, you can list specific content based on a search term in any playlist or Songs in Your Library.
- Select Filter at the top of track listings.
- Enter any search term, for example “baby”. Only titles containing that term are now listed.
- To return to the original listing, either clear your search or click X to remove the filter.
Find Playlists, Albums, and Artists in Your Library.
- Go to the list you’d like to filter.
(On iOS) Pull the screen down to display Find in playlists/albums/artists at the top.
(On Android) Tap and select Find in playlists/albums/artists.
- Enter a search term to show specific content, for example “baby”. Only titles containing that term are now listed.
- To return to the original listing, either clear your search or tap X or Cancel to remove the filter.
You can also choose to list only Downloads or Imported Music (your local files) in Your Library.
Note: Filter options may vary depending on the list you’re filtering. To return to the original listing, repeat these steps and tap the selected filter again.