Your info, payment and privacy all in one place.
Internet and data usage
Spotify needs a WiFi or mobile data connection to work.
It’s best to use WiFi instead of mobile data.
If you don’t have WiFi, the app uses your mobile data.
Reduce data usage
Data Saver reduces the app’s data usage by showing fewer images and reducing audio quality.
- Swipe left or tap your profile picture
- Tap Settings and privacy
- Switch Data Saver on.
Tip: Under Data Saver, you can also switch Audio-only podcasts on. This means when you download podcasts it doesn’t download their videos too.
More ways to reduce mobile data usage:
- If you have Premium, download music to listen offline.
Tip: Make sure the app only downloads when connected to WiFi, switch Download using cellular off in the app’s settings (under Music Quality).
- Check your Music Quality. Higher quality music uses more data.
- Switch Autoplay off in your app’s settings. This stops it playing after what you’ve selected.
- Use WiFi when using the app abroad. Check your mobile data plan to learn about roaming charges.
- Your device may have its own data saver. Check the support site for your device.
Videos use more data than music due to larger file sizes, but our data usage is comparable to other popular video channels.
Videos on podcasts
Some podcasts feature videos. You can’t turn these videos off, but they only play when you have them on-screen. If you navigate away from the podcast or lock your device, only the audio plays.
Note: When downloading a podcast, only the audio is downloaded, not the video.
Now playing moving visuals
The moving visuals in Now Playing is a feature called Canvas - a unique form of artistic expression on Spotify.
These are short and looping, so use very little data. After they’ve looped once, they don’t need any more data to keep playing. They also don’t continue to run in the background.
If don’t want Canvas, you can switch it off:
- Tap Home .
- Tap Settings .
- Switch Canvas (under Playback) off.
The app uses some of your device’s internet bandwidth to play music without buffering.
To reduce bandwidth usage:
- Close any other open applications using the internet
- If you have Premium, download music to listen offline
- Use the web player
Was this article helpful?